Obtain free World updates
We’ll ship you a myFT Every day Digest electronic mail rounding up the most recent World information each morning.
We’ve a scoop at the moment on Goldman Sachs, which has used a fund arrange with Chinese language state cash to purchase a sequence of US and UK firms, together with one with a cyber safety enterprise that gives companies to the British authorities.
The Wall Road financial institution has struck seven offers utilizing money from a $2.5bn non-public fairness “partnership fund” it arrange in 2017 with the sovereign wealth fund China Funding Company, in response to a number of individuals with direct data of the fund.
The offers embody a start-up that tracks world provide chains, a consultancy that advises on cloud computing, a drug testing firm and a producer of programs used for synthetic intelligence, drones and electrical car batteries. Though the financial institution introduced it had invested within the firms, it didn’t say the offers have been financed at the very least partly from the China fund.
Regardless of more and more fraught relations between Beijing and the west in recent times, Goldman has stepped up the partnership fund’s exercise. Listed here are extra particulars on the fund’s investments.
For extra information, evaluation and commentary on China, go to the FT’s China Focus hub. Right here’s what else I’m preserving tabs on at the moment:
Financial information: Analysts anticipate US development within the second quarter to stay unchanged from the preliminary studying of two.4 per cent when the revised quantity is launched at the moment. We additionally get non-public payroll information for July and pending residence gross sales.
Outcomes: Jack Daniel’s maker Brown-Forman and software program firm Salesforce report in addition to pet items retailer Chewy and low cost retailer 5 Beneath.
Hurricane Idalia: The Nationwide Hurricane Heart warned that the storm barrelling in the direction of Florida’s Large Bend area is now Class 3, with wind speeds of 120mph recorded earlier at the moment. Comply with the most recent updates on Idalia.
5 extra high tales
1. Ukraine has launched its largest drone assault but inside Russia. The unmanned aerial automobiles hit airports and different essential infrastructure within the early hours of the morning in a sustained assault on a number of areas of the nation. Right here’s the most recent on the assaults which used American and British missile programs.
2. Navy officers in Gabon have seized management of the oil-rich west African nation. The coup got here simply hours after Gabon’s long-serving president Ali Bongo had been declared the winner in Saturday’s election. Learn extra on the eighth coup in west Africa since 2020.
3. Asset administration group Grayscale yesterday gained a landmark cryptocurrency court docket ruling because it seeks to launch a US-listed change traded fund monitoring the digital forex. A federal appeals court docket dominated that the Securities and Trade Fee was fallacious to reject Grayscale’s software to transform its Grayscale Bitcoin Belief into an ETF. Right here’s the complete story.
4. US job openings dropped to their lowest degree in additional than two years in July. The drop to eight.8mn vacancies final month, from 9.2mn in June, fuelled hypothesis that the labour market is cooling off sufficient for the Federal Reserve to forgo additional rate of interest will increase this 12 months. That is how buyers reacted to the information.
5. Unique: Amazon has been threatened with authorized motion over the sale of “unapproved” medication that purport to deal with a pores and skin situation. The US Meals and Drug Administration wrote to Amazon’s chief government Andy Jassy this month warning him that medication that supposedly deal with molluscum contagiosum have been being offered on the platform. Right here’s extra on the FDA’s issues.
The Large Learn
Two years in the past, with nice fanfare, Italy unveiled a €200bn EU-funded plan to strengthen its fragile bodily and social infrastructure. However Giorgia Meloni’s authorities has struggled to maintain tempo with targets agreed with Brussels in 2021. Now critics are asking if the rightwing prime minister can utilise the windfall to reboot her nation’s chronically underperforming economic system.
We’re additionally studying . . .
Chart of the day
Earlier than the 2008 monetary disaster, the worldwide economic system may sustainably increase by 4 per cent a 12 months. However with nations erecting boundaries to commerce and selling resilience over effectivity, it now appears 3 per cent is the pace restrict, writes Chris Giles. In his column, the FT’s economics editor discusses 4 different massive shifts taking place within the world economic system proper now.
Take a break from the information
Neutrinos, the subatomic particles that permeate the universe, have turn out to be a brand new frontier in science that would lead to findings which might be as unsettling as Einstein’s problem to Newton’s legislation of gravity. Anjana Ahuja stories on two experiments which might be attempting to reply the query: why does the universe exist?
Further contributions from Tee Zhuo and Benjamin Wilhelm
Really helpful newsletters for you
Asset Administration — Discover out the within story of the movers and shakers behind a multitrillion-dollar business. Enroll right here
The Week Forward — Begin each week with a preview of what’s on the agenda. Enroll right here